AUGUSTINIAN HOUSE IN SPA LUHACOVICE
The AUGUSTINIAN HOUSE in Luhacovice was built in the years 1902 – 1904 according to an adapted project of the Augustinian monastery of St. Thomas in Old Brno from the architect Vladimír Fischer from Brno. The architect was inspired by historicising influence of English country buildings with a strong accent on quarry stone which is used on the facade upto the level of a cordon cornice. The combination of the neo-renaissance style of the main bulding with the neo-classic style of the chapel represents one whole. The house was used as an accommodation for priests and catholic families.
ST. MARIA CHAPEL
St Maria Chapel reflects the historicising neo-gothic influence. A usual gothic model of sacral buldings was used here – groined vault with a polygonal key-stone and with stone buttresses, including trefoil arched windows and a saddle portal in the sacristry.
Saint Thomas is the patron of theologists, healer of the back pain and one can plead with him for a good marriage.
He is also the patron of architects, builders, surveyors, carpenters, masons, geodesists and stonemasons. He was also a patron of the Augustinian House – his symbol the letters ST can be found today on several places of the facade and you can also find them adapted in the hotel logo.